Meet the Expert »
Myles McNamara
  • Myles McNamara
  • Comfort Keepers In-Home Care

  • Myles McNamara has been
    helpful (170) times.
Myles McNamara has owned and operated Comfort Keepers In-Home Care in Santa Clarita since 2001.  He is a Certified Senior Advisor, which means additional training and studies in the area of Senior Services and needs.   Assisting seniors to remain in their own home, or to “age in place”, brings with it an array of issues and challenges not only for the senior themselves, but also to spouses, adult children, family members, loved ones, neighbors, friends, and whomever else is involved in our aging loved one’s life and care.

Contact Information
Phone: 661-287-4200
Address: 24355 Lyons Avenue Suite 110
  Santa Clarita, CA 91321

Senior In-Home Care Questions Answered by Myles McNamara »
Section: Senior In-Home Care
Q:  I believe that in your category, you might be able to help me locate a 77-year-old artist who lives in Santa Clarita. Her name is Joan Breault. I recently rescued a beautiful painting signed by Ms Breault, of a group of penguins. She used to have a gallery in San Marcos, but the only information I have found is that she moved to Santa Clarita. Do you think you could suggest a way to help me locate her in your city? I so want to discuss the painting with her or a family member. Thank you for your kind attention. Maria Oates, Hemet, CA.

Hi Maria,

Wow!! As they say, "If you don't take the shot, you can't make the shot!!"  I actually do know Joan Breault, have spoken to her regarding this, and she would be thrilled to discuss with you this painting that she recalls very fondly.

If you would like to contact me at the number below, Joan has given me permission to give you her contact information.

Be well,


Myles McNamara, CSA
Certified Senior Advisor

Comfort Keepers
Setting the standard for In-Home Care

23900 Lyons Avenue 
Santa Clarita, CA 91321

(661) 287-4200    (818) 360-1995

Was this answer helpful? Yes | No
(12) people have found this answer helpful.

Section: Senior In-Home Care
Q:  Hello Myles - I've heard your show on KHTS Radio and think it's great. Here's my question. I believe it's time to move my mother closer to us here in Valencia. What are my options? She has Medicare and Medi Cal. We work and aren't home most of the day so I think I should consider an Assist. Living or Conv. Home. How do I find those in our area? Will her insurance pay for this or most of the cost?
A:  Thank you, I’m glad you enjoy “Aging with Power”.  I don’t know the time line in which you are looking to move Mom closer, but you have many options you can explore that best suits your needs and will make Mom the happiest.  A Convalescent Home is a Skilled Nursing Facility (Nursing Home) and unless your Mom’s mental status is such that she does not know where she is or physically she needs constant 24/7 supervision/assistance, I do not recommend that choice purely for quality of life reasons.We have 3 Assisted Living Facilities in town. Summerhill Villa and Pacifica, both on Lyons Avenue just west of Wiley Canyon, and Sunrise at Sterling Canyon on McBean Pkwy next to Henry Mayo Hospital. Book a tour with all three, preferably with Mom, to get a feel for where she most would like to call home.  Prices vary depending on Mom’s level of care needs and can be modified over time. Each has a unique feel and dynamic, there are active seniors residing there, as well as residents with higher needs. There are also many, many Board and Cares in town as well.  These are 3-4 or more bedroom homes converted into facilities that are like a community home staffed 24/7. Generally the residents are of higher assistance needs. Rooms, private or with a room mate, are rented and the rest of the house is common area. I would also recommend booking tours with multiple homes in the area. Both Assisted Living Facilities and Board and Cares are licensed by the Department of Health Services, and in addition to tours, you can check to see their rating, any reported violations, etc. And now the bad news. Insurance does not pay for Assisted Living Facilities or Board and Cares.  As far as a Nursing Home goes, Medicare will pay up to (But rarely) 100 days in a Skilled Nursing Facility after a minimum of a 3 day hospital stay. Medical will pay for a Nursing Home with the proper Medical Planning.  You would need to consult an attorney, as this involves limits regarding assets, income, etc.  My wife is an Elder Law attorney locally and has a great video on her web site that may be of benefit for you. Go to, and it addresses the continuum of care issues you’ve asked about.  If I can be of more assistance, please email me at  

Was this answer helpful? Yes | No
(14) people have found this answer helpful.

Section: Senior In-Home Care
Q:  I am worried about my grandparents living by themselves at their home, and yet they refuse to listen to me when I suggest that they get help. What is the best way to approach them about either getting help or moving to a senior community?
A:  The million dollar question!! One that has varying answers for each family and their own unique family dynamics. Parenting our parents, one of, if not the hardest transitions we'll ever have to make.  One thing that we must keep in mind as our loved ones age is the preservation of their dignity and self esteem.  They do not want to be a burden, nor do they want to lose their independence.  Let’s take this from two angles; One to help your Grandparents to stay in their own home, and two, to explore an assisted Living community decision.When you feel the best time for this discussion is upon you, share your concerns and that your goal is to help with a plan that allows them to “age in place” where they choose, still in charge, but safely and preventing such things as slip and falls that could result in a broken hip, head injury, or other trauma that has statistically proven to cause an irreversible, downward spiral in the health and independence of seniors.When discussing Home Care, it is often misinterpreted as nursing care.  The first response, again keeping in mind dignity and self esteem, is “I don’t need a nurse!”  Although the word nurse was never used, it’s a common result.  I teach my Care Managers, when we are asked to come to the home for a consultation, to present our home care services on the level of a Concierge Service.  In reality, that’s really what it is.  It’s non-medical assistance that can prevent events such as slip and falls during bathing or showering, dehydration, mismanagement of medications, etc. Help with housekeeping, shopping, laundry, transportation….these are all Concierge type services that they can take advantage of and deserve!  It keeps them in charge, enhances their independence, and prevents injury resulting in mandatory hospitalization and or Nursing Home Care.The same approach is successful in discussing the option of an Assisted Living Community.  Your independence is still in your charge, but the communities are beatiful, are staffed 24/7, meals are provided, there are activities, trips and, of course, socialization with other seniors.

So, the best approach? Be sincere, firm, and compassionate.  Discussing the possibility of having dialogue with their physician on the topic also helps, as we all take advice from non family members better for some reason. A doctor’s validation can make a huge difference, as our grandparent’s generation listens to their physician more so than today’s generation.  You’ve mentioned they’ve refused to listen to you in the past.  Make it a dialogue together.  Don’t approach them with the “I know what’s best for you” attitude, but rather with the “Let’s help keep you in charge” attitude.  And lastly, with a little fear, that’s good for all of us.  What happens if you break a hip?  What will Grandma do if Grandpa has to go to the hospital/nursing home for an extended period of time? If you feel you are getting nowhere, and truly believe they are a danger to themselves or others, you can contact our local Senior Center Supportive Services for council and assistance, or more aggresively, Adult Protective Services. 

But I’ll end with repeating one last time….with dignity and respect.

Was this answer helpful? Yes | No
(15) people have found this answer helpful.

Section: Senior In-Home Care
Q:  Do most insurance companies or Medi-Cal help pay for senior in-home care?

Private Insurance, MediCal or Medicare does not pay for In-Home Care.  Long Term Care Insurance will, and is something we all should be including in our long term Estate and retirement planning.  There are some state and county programs that are income and asset based for qualification purposes.  You can visit as a starting point if this may apply to you or a loved one.  Our local Santa Clarita Valley Senior Center's Supportive Services is also a great resource for options should the In-Home Care need is serious, but finances are an issue.  The Veterans Administration also has a program called "Aids and Attendants" for home care needs for Veterans, but is also income and asset based for qualification. You can visit their website at, or call (800) 827-1000.

Was this answer helpful? Yes | No
(14) people have found this answer helpful.

Section: Senior In-Home Care
Q:  My parents are in their 80s and live pretty well still on their own. They live in a great senior mobile home park and have many friends who check up on each other. But I worry about them at night. Is there a service that I can get for nights only?
A:  Absolutely there is.  Home Care can be provided anytime of the day or night that meets your needs.  Many of our clients have night time services only for the exact reasons you just oulined.  Our initial home visit/assesment helps us outline and prepare the Care Plan, including the needed skill set of the Caregiver, the best personality match for your parents, and whatever time of the day or night that best provides the service that is needed.  Days, nights, weekends, or holidays, help is available.

Was this answer helpful? Yes | No
(26) people have found this answer helpful.

Page 1 of 2
1 Next »